Who is Hunter Primary Care?
At Hunter Primary Care we work towards creating an effective primary health care system that meets the health needs of the community.
Keeping people well and out of hospital
Hunter Primary Care delivers a wide range of quality cost efficient health services to the Hunter community. Our focus is to provide an effective primary health care system that meets the needs of the community and keeps people well and out of hospital. Through collaboration we are able to develop innovative solutions and expand services to the meet the changing and complex needs of our community.
To meet our organisations purpose of keeping people well and out of hospital we:
- Deliver consumer-focused, quality primary health care services that improve health outcomes
- Lead and support primary health care professionals to enable them to provide effective health care
- Work with stakeholders to improve the health system and patient experience
For publications produced by Hunter Primary Care visit our News and Publications page.
Hunter Primary Care Milestones
As an organisation Hunter Primary Care has more than twenty years of corporate knowledge in serving the Hunter community.
Significant milestones for Hunter Primary Care include:
- In July 1992 the Federal Government announced funding for ten demonstration Divisions of General Practice and in August 1992 the Hunter Division of General Practice was formed as the first funded Division in Australia.
- In 1993 the Hunter Division of General Practice divided into two separate Divisions: the Hunter Urban Division of General Practice and the Hunter Rural Division of General Practice with the HUDGP growing into a national leader in Divisional and general practitioner activity.
- In 1999 the first After Hours Clinic opens in Maitland.
- In 2003 GP Access After Hours launches with 4 more after hours clinics.
- In 2005 GP Psychology Services launches.
- In 2008 HUDGP is rebranded to GP Access after the success of our five GP Access After Hours clinics across the Hunter area.
- In 2011 HUDGP becomes one of the first Medicare Locals to be established in the country, company changes it name to Hunter Primary Care and begins trading as Hunter Urban Medicare Local (HUML).
- In 2012 HUML is rebranded to Hunter Medicare Local (Hunter ML).
- headspace Newcastle launched May 31 2013.
- In 2013 Hunter Partners in Recovery launched in November.
- The company ceased trading as Hunter Medicare Local on June 30 2015 due to a Federal Government decision to end Medicare Local funding.
- Hunter Primary Care begins trading under its own name on July 1 2015.