Working with young people and their families when times get tough
headspace Newcastle provides information and support regarding a wide range of issues for young people and their families living in the Newcastle, Lake Macquarie and Port Stephens areas.
headspace is a world first initiative which helps thousands of young people keep their lives on track during what can be a very challenging or difficult period in life. It is Federally funded under Australia’s national youth mental health initiative and offers support for those aged 12 to 25 years on a range of issues. Such issues can include:
- Alcohol and drug use;
- Sexual health;
- Work and study;
- Personal or family relationship issues; and
Thousands of young Australians everyday are faced with challenges that can derail their lives for months, years or potentially even forever. For some young people, the challenge can feel unfixable, with suicide the leading cause of death among Australian youth.
With 75% of mental health problems emerging before the age of 25 ‘early intervention’ is a highly effective way of implementing lasting change in a young person’s life and to also add to the strength of the local community. Worryingly, even among young people with the most severe mental health problems, only 50% of these young people are able to receive professional help.
headspace Newcastle aims to turn these figures around and promote genuine change in the services available to young people in the local area. headspace Newcastle is a place where you can go to talk about any of the following:
- Feeling stressed or can’t stop worrying;
- Haven’t felt like yourself for a long time;
- Can’t deal with school or finding it difficult to concentrate;
- Feeling sick or worried about your health;
- Want to cut down or stop your drinking or drug use;
- Want to talk about sexuality, identity or relationships;
- Are having difficulties with friendships;
- Have sexual health issues or want to find out about contraception
- Are being bullied, hurt or harassed;
- Worried about work or study; or
- Experiencing money trouble
For further information please contact the headspace Newcastle team on (02) 4929 4201.